Saturday, January 17, 2009

Taubman

For quite some time I have been unsure how I felt about the new art museum downtown. Part of me feels like its out of place with the other buildings, but I love old buildings and the feel that they give. The other part of me tries to appreciate that it actually is a beautiful building, its just different. So, when I found out that we could go for free today, I was excited. I'm not an art person, but I wanted to see what all of this money was spent on, and to be honest I wasn't very impressed. The building looks huge from the outside, but the inside of the building is VERY small. There was not very much in the museum, and some of it was just weird (the tattoo room for example). Two rooms that I did enjoy were the room with the purse display...I LOVE purses, so of course that room was interesting to me, unfortunately it was the smallest room in the building. I also really liked the contemporary art display, there were lots of neat things in that room. This sculpture was in that room, and this is the most real looking sculpture of a human I've ever seen. There were small veins, the coloring on the skin was just right, the toes and fingers were so realistic, it truly was fantastic!

Right about now you're probably thinking, oh my gosh how did she take that picture! But don't worry although I am a little rebel, it wasn't against the rules to take pictures...as long as your flash was off and you were not in a temporary exhibit (Side note...a staff member was on me faster than I could pull my camera out of the case to inform me that I needed to turn my flash off...those guys took their job very seriously, and actually they cracked me up walking around there)

And now, not completely unrelated from art, but kind of...Thursday Jan. 15th was Brad's Dad's 53rd birthday, and I made a cake! I have really started to enjoy baking and decorating cakes, even when they don't turn out looking that great, they always taste pretty good :) Here's the cake I made for Alan...

3 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Well Happy Birthday Alan :)
And that sculpture...Oh my goodness. That blows my mind!

Keeping up with the Jones said...

That sculpture was crazy! By the way, the cake you made looks super yummy! :)

Jessamyn said...

hi april! i hope your last semester is off to a great start! i'll miss sitting next to you in class and doing all those exciting assignments...but not that much! haha! I hope i'll run into you sometime on campus!