Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wagner’s Birth Story

On Tuesday night (September 18th), while we were eating at China Wall Buffet I had two really painful contractions.  I told Brad that these were the real deal, but I wasn’t sure how long until we would actually have a baby.  When we went home and put Emery to bed I was able to fall asleep from 8:30 until 11:00, but right after eleven I was unable to sleep through the contractions because they were so frequent and painful.  I decided to get ready for work, but call the doctor on call and just check in.  Dr. Curtis was on call and had a good laugh when I told her that I knew my contractions weren’t close enough together to come in (10 to 7 minutes), but I was really nervous that my water would break in front of my sixth graders!  She told me that I could go to work if I wanted, but as soon as my contractions were 5 minutes apart for two hours I needed to make my way to my doctor’s office.  From 8:30 to 10:30 my contractions were three to five minutes apart so I called my doctor’s office at 10:30, and was told to come in immediately.  It was HILARIOUS to see my principal, school resource officer, and school nurse RUNNING to my classroom.  I wish I could describe that scene to you and do it justice!  I met Brad at home and we went on to my doctor’s office, where they checked me and I was 4 cm and 80%, so they sent me onto the hospital.  At this point I was feeling really good…the contractions were painful, but nothing that I couldn’t handle!  When they hooked me up to the monitor at the hospital I was having contractions every two and a half minutes.  I just hung out with Brad in the room until I reached 6 cm, and Dr. Curtis decided to break my water.  I got my epidural before they broke my water, and just continued to wait until I was 10 cm.  Wagner’s heart rate kept dropping so I was having to lay on my right side for thirty minutes and my left side for thirty minutes, so I didn’t feel the pressure when I got to 10 cm until they nurse had me roll onto my back to check me.  As soon as I did I told her I was ready to push.  She gave me one practice push and she immediately told me to stop because he was coming and she was not ready to deliver the baby!  Dr. Curtis came into the room and Wagner was born after just two pushes (in 7 minutes).  The nurse called him a miracle baby because his cord was wrapped around his neck TWICE which was the reason for his heart rate dropping during the end of my labor.  As soon as I saw him I said that he looked JUST.LIKE.BRAD!!!  He weighed 7 lbs. 15 oz and was 21 inches long.  He is perfect and we couldn’t be happier! 

Last maternity picture!!

DSC_0005

DSC_0023

DSC_0029DSC_0045DSC_0049

A big thank you to everyone to helped us in some way either by bringing us meals, keeping Emery, taking care of Lucy, or simply by praying for us…we have some pretty great friends and family!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Um, tears! We love y'all so much and so excited for you to experience the joy of two. Love you!