Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankfulness Day 3...

Yes I know it is technically Thanksgiving already, but since I'm still awake this post counts as a Wednesday post :)

Today I was reminded of how thankful I should be for memories and wisdom. My great grandmother AKA Nana was just diagnosed this past weekend with terminal cancer. This has been hard for me to process because she also has dementia, and has not been quite herself for about a year now...she has good days and bad days (don't we all), so I haven't been able to determine whether this is a blessing for her or not. So, today I went to visit her and it was just really hard. Grandbess and Grandbud were there talking with hospice, so I sat in her room with her for about an hour while she rested and I just prayed over her. I thanked God for allowing her to be such a big part of my life and for allowing me to possess some of her qualities that I admire, and for letting me spend 22 years of my life learning from her. I also asked him to be gracious to her and not to allow her to suffer, and to prepare our hearts and help us grieve her death, heal and be able to celebrate her life whenever that time comes. After about an hour of just praying over her I did get to "visit" with her for a little while, and once she realized I was there she was her same spunky self (everyone says that's where I get my sass from...thank you nana!!). I am so thankful for the wisdom and the memories she has given me, she will never know the impact she has had on me!! Ben and I spent every summer of our childhood staying at her house while Debs and Big Steve worked, so Nana practically raised me and that's probably why I'm so tough :)... So I thought I would share with you some of the things I have learned from Nana...
-Don't let anyone push you around, ever, period.
-Always spend time with your family whenever you get the chance.
-Work hard at every thing you do.
-Shoes and purses are important investments.
-Spend your money wisely.
-Make jokes at your own expense.
-Look out for those around you who are less fortunate, especially family.
-Brad has really nice hair, don't let him cut it.
-Sometimes life is hard, but that's life, and you've just gotta keep on going.





I can't even begin to put into words how thankful I am for Nana. She is an amazing lady who has been through so much in her 92 years of living. I can only aspire to be the woman that she is. I'm looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with family tomorrow...I know I've told you this before, but its my FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE holiday!!
-

No comments: